Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day

Today is Armistice day and the 90th Anniversary of the end of the First World War. Normally remembrance day, Nov 11th is special for me as it is the birthday of my first born and it is obviously a day I never forget. This year it means more to me then before as just around 6 weeks ago while watching the RTE programme 'Who do you think you are?' Joe Duffy was investigating his past and discovered he had lost an relative in WW1. He googled a British army site (CGWC)to find out more details and while watching the programme, I googled the same site as my DH had always talked about his grandfather's brother, John Herbert Watters who had the same fate.

The wonders of technology, a tap of a button and there he was in the CWGC records...our family relative listed name, age, family address, parents name. He was 24 when he died in the fields of France. He left a young widow behind - who knows maybe a family...We found out he is buried in Belgium. Maybe we will one day make a trip to pay respects to his grave...May he rest in peace....



So onto lighter things...today my baby turned eight - I can hardly believe it. Where are the years going? She was so excited to be a big 8 year old. We made rice krispie buns for school last night and after school we made the most delicious chocolate cake covered in hot melted chocolate and malteasers. Yum! Happy Birthday Eva
XX



No comments: