It's official...Christmas has begun!
We are all set to snuggle up on the couch together to watch The LATE LATE TOY SHOW. The kids have been excited - more like wired really since this morning. Lucy got into her PJ's at 5pm and keeps asking me 'how many more minutes mum'.
So to get the festive mood started I'm going to post up a class for the Craft Supplies Christmas party which is being organised by Tigger. I taught this interactive DLO class at Craftzone last September and it can be adapted to any theme particularly Christmas...so get those precious uncut papers out and start snipping ladies! Post a comment with a link to your take on my class and I will pick a winner next Friday 5th Dec. The prize is one of my handmade necklaces ;-)
Free Online Scrapbooking Class
Class: ‘Holiday Memories/Magical’
Designed by Elaine Watters
Description: Holiday Memories (Magical)
This is a fun and interactive double layout using colourful papers (Chatterbox range) to showcase your holiday photos. In this layout I will show you how to display lots of photos in hidden places so all of your holiday memories are kept together. You will need 1 large photo 5x7 (portrait format) and a 5x7 (landscape format)-which you are prepared to trim!). Other photos can be added in later.
-2 sheets black cardstock /bazzil
-1 sheet of pink cardstock/bazzil
-1 sheet of double sided orange dotty paper (Scrapbook Walls Tangerine Dots)
-1 sheet of double sided pink dotty paper (Chatterbox-Rosey Villa Dots)
-1 sheet of pink/orange striped paper (Chatterbox big Villa stripe)
-1 sheet of orange swirls/orange dotty of reverse (Chatterbox -Villa Swirls)
-1 packet of Basic Grey alphabets ( Wilma)
-1 packet of orange swirly rub-ons ( Hambly )
You will also need;
- 12 ''trimmer
- 9 inch plate to draw the template
- 1'' circular punch and a 2'' and 3’’ circular punch (or a glass will do!)
- Sharp fine scissors , double sided tape or tacky tape
- White acrylic paint to distress the photo on the lift up piece (optional)
- Pink acrylic paint to colour chipboard alphabets– I used Anita’s metallic pink
- Inks to distress edges of patterned paper
- Black Dymo tape for journaling (optional)
Layout A (Left Hand Side LHS)
Layout B (Right Hand Side RHS)
Instructions: Layout A (LHS)
Step 1- Lets start by cutting the papers up - these will be for both Layouts so create a pile (A and B)
• Using the black cardstock as a base sheet, trim the following sheets of patterned paper;
o Pink dots 2’’x10’’ (A)
o Orange dots 12’’x10’’(A)
o Orange swirls 12’’x6’’ (B)
o Pink and orange candy stripes 9’’x10’’ (A)
o Adhere the paper as shown in Diag A1
o Add a photo (5x7) as in Diag A2 – ONLY use double sided tape on 3 sides (top, left and bottom). Journal tag will slide in under right side of photo.
o Trim a piece of pink bazzill (4’’x6’’) and punch out a 2’’ circle of orange swirls with leftover swirl piece and adhere behind the pink bazzil. This is ready to decorate with rub-ons and journaling as a pull out tag behind the photo (diag 3).
Instructions: Layout B (RHS)
Step 1 –
• Using the orange swirly paper ( Villa swirls) take the half sheet you have cut for the above layout and using a 9’’plate, trace a little over a half circle on the LHS of the sheet. (diagram B1). My widest part of the semi circle was 5.5’’.
• Add a 5x7 landscape photo and adhere to paper exactly in the centre of the semi circle and then trim to follow the lines (tip: turn over and trim for neater edge).
• Optional distressing –if you have white acrylic paint and a sponge drag an edge of white paint around the photo border (diag B4)
Step 2 –
• Using the pink bazzil sheet, trim it 12’’x5’’ and adhere down on the black cardstock exactly in the centre of the sheet.
• Using a 2’’ circle punch (or a small glass/cup) create 3 circles using your patterned paper scraps. These small circles will be the hinges for your lift up semi circle so you are not using double sided paper, you may need to add these to chipboard or bazzill circles for strength.
• Bend them in half and adhere both sides underneath with tape and use as hinges to stick the semi circle to the black cardstock. Line up the lift up panel so the photo and the pink cardstock are layered exactly on top of each other.
How to make the hidden swirl
Punch out 2 circles of patterned paper and (all approx 3’’ circles – tip use a cup or glass if punch not available;-) ). Stick both circles back to back with DS tape- with design showing on the outside. With a fine scissors start by cutting into the circle and continuing round until you create a spiral – leave enough at the end (approx 1cm) to put double sided /tacky tape behind it. To stick down the spiral put tacky tape on only the centre piece (underneath) and the start point (on top side). Tip is to stick down to the base first and then close the flap to find the right placement. Then apply photos and embellish.
That's it - hope you had fun! Leave a link to your gallery or blog so we can see what you came up with. Thanks for taking part.